Tell the story of your data with a Story Map — a user friendly web application where you can combine your data and maps with narrative text, images, and multimedia content. Whether you’re a student, instructor, or aspiring researcher, you can use these Story Maps to investigate pertinent issues in public health, disease surveillance, chronic illness, political geography, public safety, or other areas of interest.
The workshop will enable participants to understand how a story can be effectively told with today’s interactive, web-based Story Maps, learn how to showcase your data using the Story Map format, and learn how to create Story Maps that incorporate sounds, video, photographs, narrative, and other multimedia. Through discussion and the use of several examples participants will learn how and why to create Story Maps using the ArcGIS Online platform and be confident that you can use them for your data when you are ready.
In this workshop, we walk through steps to developing a Story Map:
- Review available Story Map templates;
- Use the power of geography and your data to tell your story;
- Combine interactive maps with dynamic content – text, photos, video – within your user experience that are intuitive;
- Share your Story Map to a larger audience which can add value to your organization’s overall message
Hands-on practice using the ESRI ArcGIS online portal and discussion will center on understanding how to create the necessary layers for your Story Map and how to use text, photos, video and other multimedia to effectively tell your story.
The program offers public health and communication knowledge with resources that provides skill building relevant for telling your data’s story to internal and external clients and to the general public.
Participants will learn:
- The function of Story Maps and the benefit they provide in different settings;
- How to determine what data is necessary to build an effective Story Map, using your own data;
- To apply key design features for effective information dissemination using text and multimedia;
- To disseminate your story map using the social media template options
A working knowledge of Microsoft Excel is necessary to be successful in the course.
Discounts available—visit our FAQs page to learn more.