Denmark is one of the most bicycle-friendly countries in the world, with more than 11,000 miles of bike lanes and paths, but this was not something that happened overnight. Join international health policy and strategy advisor, Agis Tsouros, as he discusses the extensive planning that goes into making cities healthier.
The PHX webinars are a flexible learning offering that allow you to learn more about a population health topic on your own time. Join us for live-streaming of a webinar or come back and watch it later in our Media Library. Past webinar topics have included communicating science and social media presence.
Mental Health Stigma
Addressing Student Needs on Campus
In this webinar, Sarah Ketchen Lipson, Assistant Professor of Health Law Policy and Management, takes a deep dive into mental health stigma, examining different forms of stigma (self, personal, perceived, public), relationships between stigma and mental health service utilization, and trends in stigma over time. Sarah draws on data from her ongoing national Healthy Minds Study, the largest survey of college student mental health. She describes the social contagion of stigma among college peers, variations in stigma across students’ identities, what colleges are doing to address stigma, and the need for tailored approaches to reach students with the highest levels of stigma. The webinar underscores why we should care about mental health stigma from a public health perspective.
- Active Minds: activeminds.org
- Born this Way Foundation: bornthisway.foundation
- EverFi: everfi.com/partners/colleges-universities
- ForLikeMinds: forlikeminds.com
- JED Foundation: jedfoundation.org/you-can-seize-the-awkward
- Morneau Shepell: morneaushepell.com
- NAMI StigmaFree and OK2TALK: nami.org/Get-Involved/Take-the-stigmafree-Pledge | ok2talk.org
- Steve Fund: stevefund.org
Suggested readings from the Healthy Minds Study:
- Lipson et al. (2018). Increased rates of mental health service utilization by U.S. college students: 10-year population-level trends (2007-2017). Psychiatric Services.
- Currier et al. (2018). Do student service members/veterans experience worse mental health stigma than their peers? Journal of American College Health.
- Lipson et al. (2018). Mental health and help-seeking among college students of color: results from a national survey study. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Eisenberg et al. (2018). “College student mental health: the national landscape” in Promoting Behavioral Health and Reducing Risk among College Students.
- Eisenberg et al. (2012). Attitudes and beliefs about treatment among college students with untreated mental health problems. Psychiatric Services.
- Eisenberg et al. (2009). Stigma and help seeking for mental health among college students. Medical Care Research and Review.